Wednesday 12 August 2009

So what have the scientists ever done for us?

Looks like the UK have a new website to promote Science.

http://sciencesowhat.direct.gov.uk/

I've noticed quite a few 'pro science' programs recently. Lots of explosions, wacky experiments, etc to grab the ever decreasing attention span of our 'blipvert media generation'. People are being subtly turned on to science...

And more importantly, IMHO, people are finally being told what science has done for us already. All those creature comforts, all our understanding of the world, communication, travel, entertainment - we are lucky enough to be able to find out about what excites us, we can overcome disabilities, we can be artists, learn whole new skills, have a global voice...

I owe an awful lot to all those curious individuals who had the question... "Why?" and "What if...?"

Which make me all the angrier when I hear ignorant f***wits, praising whatever flavour god they follow, and thanking it for all it has provided for them.

If you are one of these people ,try this prayer instead...

Dear figment of my limited imagination,
Bless you my insecurity
For stunting my understanding of the world
For my fears and ignorance
And for your benevolent indifference to us all.
Amen


Hope that helps. ;-)

Maybe science and religion can coexist. But it could never be on equal terms. Religion is going to be around a lot longer than me. Maybe in the climate of extremism we will see polarised groups emerge, possibly another War that will be defined by what sky pixie is best? Science has enabled us to communicate and see the world around us. We should be educating, learning, discovering... NOT adhering to some misinformed, vague superstitious crap that kept the masses in check thousands of years ago.

We can only hope.

8 comments:

  1. Until your god, Science, can keep you from dying you will have to deal with the real one at some point.
    Scientific studies show that belief in Jesus greatly reduces stress, anger, and hostility in most people...if you believe those sort of studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science is not a god.
    Belief in a deity will reduce stress if you are the kind of person who worries about death and ghost stories.
    A lot of people who call themselves christians are, in my opinion, LESS tolerant of others. At worst they see themselves as morally superior or at least, a better person for having that 'belief'.
    A lot of christians ARE less hostile, but too few will turn the other cheek as recommended by Jesus. I have a great deal of respect for nice people. I just don't think that being a believer makes the slightest bit of difference. I personally would rather trust a genuine nice person than someone who is doing it because they are 'told to' or will 'go to heaven'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Science is not a god.
    - - - - - -
    I'm glad I'm getting through to you.

    ...but too few will turn the other cheek as recommended by Jesus.
    - - - - - -
    We do try harder than the folks who sit in the bleachers calling the fouls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You exhibit very little tolerance in your post for those you claim are intolerant.
    Why complain about Christians who don't turn the other cheek? Isn't this an indication that they are rejecting what you also despise? Perhaps they are well on their way to your side. Otherwise, if you are in agreement with this teaching, then you concede that Christianity does carry some merit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally would rather trust a genuine nice person than someone who is doing it because they are 'told to' or will 'go to heaven'.
    - - - - - - - - -
    You must do some interesting screening when someone stops to help you fix a flat or pick up something you dropped on the ground....Sir, are you helping me because you want to go to heaven or because you think I might give you a tip? I hope you are helping me for no reason other than for evolutionary and scientific purposes, as this is a genuine motivation and will allow me to trust you in much higher matters such as babysitting my young daughters and managing my bank account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belief in a deity will reduce stress if you are the kind of person who worries about death and ghost stories.
    - - - - - - -
    Belief in science will induce stress if you are the kind of person who worries about global warming and aliens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a great deal of respect for nice people. I just don't think that being a believer makes the slightest bit of difference.
    - - - - -
    So, you mean you consider yourself no nicer than the average ignorant ****wit? You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
    The truth is, you think you are better because you can be just as nice with no extra help from God...isn't that right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew! I've answered these comments in the main section. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated (free speech and all that) but I have decided to take off anonymous posting. If I can stick my head over the parapet, then common decency suggests that anyone wishing to debate should at least introduce themselves. :-)
Thanks. And feel free to comment about anything!